The journey of living purposefully began with me thinking about traveling in order to clear my mind and find somewhere to be inspired. I then realized that I live in one of the most beautiful places in the world (I may be biased, but I do hear that Hawaii is a travel destination…). I thought to myself, how well do I really know my own backyard? I mean, I have gone on some adventures here and there across the island – some hikes, several beaches, and some super awesome local places to eat, but really how much of this island do I know?
This inspired me to embark on what I like to call the backyard adventure.
Back when I was small, I had quite a vivid imagination. Just in the confines of my grandma’s back yard, I could instantly transport myself to a jungle climbing trees and vines, a pirate ship, or even jumping around and staying out of lava. I realize that I don’t need to travel across the sea to find somewhere to be inspired. I can go on adventures right here at home and be inspired by the beauty that is Hawaii.
Here is my 2017 backyard adventure challenge list:
- Go on 40 hikes
- Visit 40 beaches
- Find as many farmers markets as possible
- Go to 12 local events (one every month)
- Find 12 local vendors to support
Rules are as follows:
- Bring a buddy and share the experience with someone else.
- Safety is always first, and friends don’t let friends go on adventures alone
- Reflect and document post-adventure
- Whether it’s writing, doodling, photography, or bujoing, if there’s no documentation or reflection from the experience, it didn’t really happen
- Repeats donʻt count
- must use hashtags: #kakoucollective #kakoucollectivechallenge #backyardadventures
I challenge you to go on an adventure in your own backyard to appreciate the beauty that surrounds you, and perhaps even get inspired.